Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rice, rice baby

Sorry everyone about dropping the ball for our preparedness item this week! I'm still getting used to this calling but I'll get my act together soon, I promise.

So we're buying rice this week (or last week if you were good and faithful). 3-5 lbs per person is a beginning amount. I recommend putting smaller bags in a larger ziplock bag to keep out the weevils. They love rice! If you ended up getting a giant bag, then that's obviously not a possibility. Just pray for no weevils!

Did you know that the shorter grain of rice you get, the stickier it is? Long grain is nice and fluffy and is great plain or in pilaf. It's the traditional kind of rice that Americans prefer. Medium grain is the kind of sticky rice you find at Chinese restaurants (it's my favorite!). Short grain rice is the stickiest and is perfect for things like sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment